Should You Repair or Replace Your Concrete Surface? Insights from a Cement Contractor in Morton Grove, Illinois
As any Morton Grove homeowner knows, the winters here are long and harsh. Eventually, the elements can wreak havoc on several areas of your property — including your concrete surfaces. A cracked or uneven surface is not only an eyesore, but it can also pose a safety risk to you, your family, and guests.
So, how do you go about fixing the issue? Is it better to repair or replace your concrete surface? This cement contractor in Morton Grove, Illinois is going to provide some information below that will help you decide.
How do Concrete Surfaces Become Damaged?
Concrete is generally seen as a permanent installation that does not require routine maintenance or replacement. However, concrete surfaces often fall apart for several reasons, including:
● Rodents and other small critters can burrow under your concrete surfaces, causing them to lose its ground support. This can result in sinking concrete.
● The ground beneath the concrete may be unable to support the weight of concrete and result in sagging, which can ultimately lead to a sunken or cracked surface.
● Soil can expand or contract with changing moisture levels, causing a void or erosion beneath the concrete. This is a leading cause of uneven concrete slabs.
Concrete raising, also known as concrete leveling, is simply the process of restoring a concrete slab by drilling tiny holes in it and pouring support material beneath it. In most cases, if your concrete surface has sunk less than eight inches, raising should be enough to fix the problem. Some of the benefits of raising your concrete surface include:
● It is significantly less expensive than replacement.
● It can be completed in less than a day.
● The restored area is ready for use right away.
● It restores your concrete to its original level.
● It will not necessitate any excavating, and your landscaping will not be affected.
When is Concrete Replacement the Best Choice?
As any knowledgeable cement contractor in Morton Grove, Illinois can tell you, many concrete projects are either too big, or the damage is too extensive for raising to be successful. In such cases, concrete replacement is the best option. It’s best to hire a licensed Morton Grove cement contractor to assess the situation and determine which option is best for large concrete projects.
You can help expedite the process by answering the following questions to determine whether a replacement is the best option for you:
● How many cracks are in the concrete surface? If there are multiple cracks per slab, replacement is usually the most cost-effective option.
● Check to see how much your concrete surface has sunk. If it has sunk by less than eight inches, raising it may be more efficient. If it has settled more than eight inches, it is usually necessary to replace it.
Protecting Your Investment
You shouldn’t wait to have your damaged concrete surface repaired or replaced by a licensed cement contractor in Morton Grove, Illinois. Having pristine concrete surfaces on your property can increase the value of your home, as well as the quality of life for your family, ensuring their safety and happiness for the length of your homeownership.
Looking for the Top-Rated Cement Contractor in Morton Grove, Illinois?
Do you have cracked concrete on your property that need to be repaired or replaced? If so, and if you’re looking to partner with the top-rated cement contractor in Morton Grove, Illinois, Via Galante Cement Contractors is the company to call. Our experts will be happy to answer all your concrete repair and replacement questions. Contact us today at (773) 589-9893 to request a free estimate.